Causes and Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy in Feet
Neuropathy is a condition that stems from the damage or malfunction of the peripheral nerves. There can be many causes of peripheral neuropathy. One of the main causes of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes mellitus.
Diabetes neuropathy is defined by the symptoms and signs of peripheral nerve dysfunction in patients with diabetes. When the blood pressure is constantly raised in diabetic individuals, this results in nerve damage described in Diabetic Neuropathy. Persistent high blood levels seen in diabetic individuals, eventually leads to narrowing of the small blood vessels that supply nerve endings with vital oxygen and nutrients. Without this supply of oxygen and nutrients, nerve fibers can disappear or become damaged. The longer a person has diabetes, the risk of diabetes neuropathy increases. Neuropathy affects up to 50% of individuals with Diabetes.
Homeopathy medicines remain quite effective for the treatment of peripheral neuropathy. In any given case, the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy serve as the basis for the type of homeopathic medicine(s) to use. Peripheral neuropathy needs to be thoroughly investigated, on a case by case basis (by a homeopathic physician), to rule out the cause behind peripheral neuropathy. In other words, each case requires a detailed case analysis to find the presenting symptoms unique to each individual. Even though, Homeopathic medicines for treating peripheral neuropathy are very safe to use for people of all age groups, homeopathic medicines for peripheral neuropathy should be taken under the supervision of a homeopathic physician.
Please Note: To purchase any of the medicines listed below, click on the names of the medicine below and it will re-direct you to a vendor. If you have any questions about any of the symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy, or medicines listed below or have any feedback about Neuropathy that you’d like to share for the treatment of Neuropathy, that you have tried out or any other questions about homeopathy medicines for Neuropathy, pleased feel free to leave your feedback, comments or questions below. I plan to look at all your comments and or questions and provide a response shortly. Hopefully, within 24 hours, if not sooner.
Here are Seven (7) Homeopathic Medicines for the Treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy in the Feet and hands
There are a large number of homeopathic medicines for peripheral neuropathy; some commonly used homeopathic medicines for the major symptoms (such as tingling, burning, prickly feelings like pins and needles sensations in the hands, feet, arms and legs) of neuropathy include:
- Arsenic Album: In cases of peripheral neuropathy, Arsenic Album is a natural homeopathic medicine effective in the treatment for burning sensation in the feet and hands. A burning sensation may extend to the legs and arms. This medicine also helps remedy heaviness and weaknesses in the limbs due to peripheral neuropathy. It helps remedy tingling sensation in the fingers, as well.
- Kali Phos: is a natural homeopathic medicine effective in the treatment for numbness in hands and feet in cases of peripheral neuropathy. Kali Phos also helps remedy the prickling sensation in hands and feet, along with general muscle weakness, paralysis, and fatigue associated with peripheral neuropathy. The nature of a person needing Kali Phos tends to be sensitive and irritable.
- Alpha-lipoic acid through its antioxidant properties is a natural homeopathic medicine effective in the treatment for reverse peripheral diabetic neuropathy. It has been known to increase reduced glutathione, an important endogenous antioxidant. In clinical trials, 600 mg alpha-lipoic acid has been shown to improve neuropathic deficits.
- Picric Acid: is a natural homeopathic remedy used to treat a pin-needle like sensation in the hands or feet in cases of peripheral neuropathy. This sensation may be present in legs and arms. A weak, tired feeling in the limbs is also present. Exertion tends to make the complaint worse, and the limbs may get cold.)
- Hypericum: is a natural homeopathic medicine effective in the treatment for tingling, numbness, and burning pains in feet and hands. In some cases, it’s accompanied a crawling sensation.
- Causticum: is a natural homeopathic medicine effective in the treatment of muscle weakness due to peripheral neuropathy. In some cases, along with muscle weakness is a sensation of formication (like ants crawling) in the limbs. This homeopathy medicine is also used in cases of paralysis.
- Plumbum Met: is a homeopathy medicine that offers a natural cure for peripheral neuropathy in which paralysis of the limbs of the patient is experienced, along with thinning or wasting of the muscles of the limbs.
The Peripheral Nervous System
There are two major divisions in the bodies’ nervous system, the peripheral nervous system and the central nervous system. The central nervous system includes the brain and the spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system includes a network of nerves that are outside the spinal cord and the brain. The nerves from the spinal cord and the brain to the rest of the body (organs, skin, and limbs) are connected by the peripheral nervous system.
The peripheral nervous system consist of 43 pairs of sensory and motor nerves. There are three types of Peripheral nerves – autonomic, sensory, and motor. Theses nerves primary functions are as follow:
- Autonomic nerves are responsible for regulating autonomic functions of the body such as digestion, bladder function, blood pressure, and body temperature.
- Sensory nerves are responsible for transmission of signals like touch, pain, other sensations to the brain, and temperature.
- Motor nerves are held responsible for control of the muscles.
Two Types of Peripheral Neuropathy
1. mononeuropathy (where damage is to a single peripheral nerve); or,
2. polyneuropathy (where there’s a malfunctioning of multiple peripheral nerves at the same time).
The symptoms of these disorders depend on the following types of peripheral neuropathy:
Sensory neuropathy: symptoms are tingling, numbness, pricking, hypersensitivity, pin/needle sensation, and burning sensation in the hands and feet. The symptoms can spread up the leg and arm.
Motor neuropathy: symptoms are paralysis, muscle weakness, cramping and twitching of muscles, thinning and wasting of muscles, impaired coordination, and balance.
Autonomic neuropathy: symptoms include bowel and bladder symptoms, diarrhea and constipation, rapid heart rate, increased and decreased sweating, erectile dysfunction in men, and blood pressure changes.
Other reasons for peripheral neuropathy include low levels of vitamin B12, Epstein-Barr, hepatitis C, infections like shingles, autoimmune diseases like Guillain-Barré syndrome, lupus, necrotizing vasculitis, and, an injury to the nerves.
Tumors pressing on the nerves, chronic liver and kidney disease, excessive alcohol intake, thyroid disorders, certain medications including thalidomide, phenytoin, toxins like mercury, arsenic, inherited disorders like Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease are some other causes of peripheral neuropathy. In some cases, there may not be an identifiable cause.
Now that was an ear full. After all of that, I think I need a drink! A drink from the True Health Well.
Yes , I like to drink from the True Health Well of Homeopathy and enjoy a more natural approach to things that get on my nerves (pun intended). If you are tired of the nerve pain and would like some relief, come with me on this journey to relax our nerves. If you have any questions about any of the symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy, or medicines listed above or have any feedback about Neuropathy that you’d like to share for the treatment of Neuropathy, that you have tried out or any other questions about homeopathy medicines for Neuropathy, pleased feel free to leave your feedback, comments or questions below. I plan to look at all your comments and or questions and provide a response shortly. Hopefully, within 24 hours, if not sooner. If you have just want to chat more about Homeopathy for peripheral neuropathy (from your or my perspective), please feel free to contact me at my email below. Until then, enjoy the True Health Well experience where we get things off our nerves.
Founder, True Health Well
Visit Us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Please consult a professional medical doctor, physician, or homeopath (for people) or a veterinarian (for pets) to treat conditions that are life-threatening or more serious. I’m not a doctor or homeopath; therefore, I can not give you medical advice.
*Homeopathic remedies are generally safe, and the risk of a serious adverse side effect arising from taking these remedies is thought to be slim to none. Most (if not all) homeopathic remedies are safe to take with other medicines including their own and do not usually interfere with the action of other medicines. So, they can be taken with other medicines.
Thank You For Visiting